The 24-year-old played no part in the friendly win over Qatar and has now been returned to his club as he nurses a muscle problem
Liverpool have been handed an untimely injury scare with the news that Diogo Jota is being returned to Anfield by the Portugal national team.
The 24-year-old forward played no part in a 3-0 friendly win over Qatar for his country at the start of the October international break and has been deemed unfit to face Luxembourg on Tuesday.
Fernando Santos will be taking no risks on Jota during World Cup qualifying and has allowed the former Wolves star to head back to England.
What has been said?
A statement released by the Portuguese FA on its official website reads: “Diogo Jota was released by the national team coach, Fernando Santos, after being deemed unavailable by the FPF Health and Performance Unit to face Luxembourg, in a game to be held this Tuesday.”
Santos had previously told reporters when asked for an update on Jota, who sat out an open training session on Monday: “He trained a while ago, increased the intensity today with (physio) Joao Brito, but he didn’t train with us.
“The probability [that Jota will play] will be little. I’ll talk to him and see how he feels.
“If we see that he is in any condition to be on the bench and then he can come in, that’s fine. If we don’t, we won’t take the risk with a player who hasn’t been able to train with us for a long time.
“I’ll make the decision shortly, and if he can’t play, he’ll head back to Liverpool.”
When are Liverpool next in action?
Jota is reported to be nursing a muscle complaint, with that ailment preventing him from adding to a collection of 21 caps for Portugal.
Liverpool will return to Premier League action on Saturday away at Watford.
Jota is now a doubt to figure against the Hornets after being forced to head back to Merseyside prematurely. He has made nine appearances for his club across all competitions this season, with three goals scored.